Marloes and St Brides
Marloes and St. Brides in Pembrokeshire
Welcome to our community website
The communities of Marloes and St Brides (population 323 in 2001) are situated west of Haverfordwest on a peninsula on the southern shore of St Brides Bay, within the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park.
Marloes & St Brides are surrounded to the north, west and south by sea, with 10 km of beautiful cliff scenery and beaches such as St Brides Haven and Marloes Sands. The parish also includes the island of Skomer, famous for it large populations of seabirds, including Puffins and Manx Shearwaters. Skomer is accessed by boat from Martin's Haven at the tip of the peninsula. Also included are the small islands of Grassholm (home to a large population of Gannets) and Gateholm. (See Maps)
Marloes itself is a small village perched in the high land in the centre of the Marloes peninsula. It is usually pronounced “Mar-lows” but locals often say "Marlas". The name appears to derive from Old Welsh mail = "bare" and ros = "moor" or "promontory", identical to Melrose in Scotland. The residents of Marloes have traditionally been known as “GULLS” - based on the the tradition of harvesting gulls eggs from Skomer.
In the centre of Marloes is the well known landmark - the Clock Tower. This was built in 1904 by members of the Pembrokeshire Liberal Association as a memorial to the 4th Baron Kensington. For more information click HERE.
An interesting poem about Marloes written in 1927 can be read here “Marloes Village”.
St Brides comprises a number of scattered farms and dwellings, with a delightful old church situated behind St Brides Haven, a sandy cove on the north coast of the peninsula. The picturesque St Brides Castle (a Holiday Property Bond property) overlooks the haven.
Details of local services such as accommodation, restaurants, bus services and the shop can be found by following links to on the left of the page or from the menus above.
Reset 4/1/18 at 42,000
Yellow object on Marloes Sands
For several weeks now there has been a large yellow object on Marloes Sands. It was a seismic survey buoy designed to carry a large hydrophone underneath and to be towed behind a survey vessel. It was the responsibility of the County Council to remove it but they showed no interest. In the end a group of local folk from Marloes hauled the very heavy object up the cliff with the aid of a tractor and much rope. The buoy is stuffed full of polystyrene pellets so it was vital to get it off the beach before the next high tide when all that plastic would be returned to the sea. Many thanks to all the Marloes farmers and residents who helped out.
Click HERE for pictures.
An update: The object has now been moved to Fishguard and has been taken on by a man who says he has a use for it! We will update you when we find out what it is!